Translate

Friday, March 6, 2009

my career thus far.....

i cook for a living..... if you can cal it that.
when i first started thinking about cooking - my sister's boyfriend at the time
gave me a name and a number of a local chef to call - he was black - and recently won the james beard award for best chef mid-atlantic - his name, Patrick Clark


so for a very busy chef - to set aside time to mentor a young cook -- was wonderful to say the least - and that was how my career began - although i never worked for him
( he turned down the chef job at the white house to go to new york to become the chef of the tavern on the green )

so we kept in touch - so for the first two years all i wanted was to become the best black chef in america - and i planned my resume around that goal - i also wanted to become an executive chef by age 30 - i bested that age by one year....

i had goals of working with or for Thomas Keller in yountville, i had an offer to try out
at his other restaurant bouchon - but never went - funny enough it came around again but again bad timing.

i worked with really good chefs - I learned both savory and pastry to become well rounded - i won an award " best breakfast in the usa " at this b&b i was the chef at in sedona.........

but something happened - maybe it was just working too much with no real break
or just had enough - not sure
but the past three years - my love for food has waned - and my heart is not in it anymore - the funny thing is i know if i really wanted to have a world class restaurant
i know i would be successful

wait i lied i know what the tipping point was - for 95% of my career i worked in places i couldn't afford to eat in and that started to bother me -
one morning early i stumbled onto this small cafe in boulder
and my life changed....

No comments: