Translate

Friday, July 4, 2008

Coleslaw, chocolate sorbet, and real bacon

things on my fourth of july wish list this year -
i got the bacon, which is getting very expensive -
maybe I should take stock in a pig farm or grow one on
my balcony - he can eat the paddle cactus out there - and watch the world slowly
go by.... sounds kind of nice

i had coleslaw recently and I also made it recently - not the creamy mayo based kind -
or even the chopped to hell kind you get at KFC - which is good but the way its cut lends itself to a lot of water loss - I have a sort of love affair with asian influenced foods - anyone who knows me will tell you the same - i tend to like my vegetables pickled, my ginger juiced
( thanks to Gary Gu) - same flavor no chopping
( ginger juice - on a box grater grate the ginger skin
and all and squeeze it through a seive or cheese cloth)
and my soy sauce Tamari

so i use napa, cilantro some carrot, some jicama and rice wine vinegar, a little sugar
and a touch of sesame oil....

so this new thing for me is chocolate sorbet which Nicci makes two times a week
and now I'm on a mission to make it better than she does - Bitter sweet chocolate,
really good cocoa powder, brown sugar maybe, vanilla - but the key ingredient would be
wait for it.....
a Zinfandel reduction of some sort to make the simple syrup out of.... but
that is my secret... ( you can figure out the ratios by yourself)

No comments: